Monday 29 October 2012

Memory is a funny thing.



I was reminded last night by the very funny Robert White that back in '04 I did a gig holding a pool cue and waving it around at the out of control audience who, if my memory serves me correctly, didn't know comedy was on and didn't like that I was blocking the view of the cigarette machine. I vaguely remember grabbing the pool cue and shaking it whilst doing my gags because I was legitimately scared. Who knows maybe I thought the night needed it. I needed it.
The gig was so poorly promoted & run that, in hindsight, this made it the funniest aspect of the night.  The humour of which must have only be appreciated on the train home. Surely? I even remember hearing later that the headliner decided not to get up as the gig was such a shambles. It was no lights, no microphone bad. I like to think that the headliner was Lewis Schaffer but it may not have been. It's cooler if it was. It's all very vague. What I didn't remember, because up until last night I didn't know, was that the gig was held at a BNP pub!  Robert, who has aspergers and a memory for these things, suggests the gig may have been a lot worse and more dangerous than my memory lets me believe. How did this conversation come about? After not seeing each other for 8 years we met at a gig & had that moment of recognition before Robert smiled and said, 'Pool Cue.' What I like about this story is that my memory of Robert involves a gig in Crouch End where afterwards, we were both standing by the side of the road watching an old man drive his car up a hill completely unaware that one tyre was missing and sparks were showering the traffic behind. The poor guy kept driving with two hands on the wheel, eyes forward, wonderfully oblivious to the lack of tyre and the fact that his night time visual would be trumped by an obscured cigarette machine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment